Wednesday, November 12, 2008

im in way over my head

so ive been into the new company for one month and a week now..and after the first three weeks of goyang kaki, the last two weeks have been pretty intense.

what im doing here is totally, TOTALLY different that what i was used too before in the previous company, in this new company, my brains capacity are tested to the limit, in fact beyond the limit actually, due to the fact the said capacity has shrunked considerably in the last few months having doing tedious mind bloggingly boring secretarial work previously.

but i was okay with that.

that's why i moved.

i needed the challenge for fear the longer i did not use my brains, the more stupid i will become and hence eventually i will be forced to get married to any Tom, Dick or Harry (or in this case, any Ali, Arumugam or Ah Chong (being politically correcto)) that knocks on my aunties' door on their relentless pursuit of wanting to be part of "our" family that they dont really care how the leftover daughter looks like as long as they can connect to the "name" accordingly, and being reduced to those trophy housewives types (ecewah mcm lawa sangat haha) and spend the days going to hair salons and spas and looking pretty..of course assuming tho stupid i may be, im still smart enough to marry a rich man :p

but i digress.

this challenge is although welcomed, it is however thoroughly disliked.

a contradiction, i know.

reason being.. the capacity of the challenge here in the new company is basis on FINANCE matter.

yep, the F word.

I HATE FINANCE.

i dont care about the Cost Variance Analysis, or the Profit Margin Thingamajggit or Negative and Positive Exposures or whatever else crap finance jargon you want to throw at me.

UNFORTUNATELY, not only i have to know these "things", i am actually the Custodian of it!

yes!

so u might think, why the hell did i take the job if i knew its going to involve Finance right?

well, there are two reasons behind, the first, i was actually head hunted for a different position, did the interview yadayada, all was set and ready, and upon the submission of my resignation letter, they informed me that they are offering me a different position, at a higher pay, of course..well what a girl's gotta do right? and u know how ballistic my ex-company was when i resigned, u think im gonna go up to them and say, "oops sorry he he, i withdraw my resignation *sheepishly*", suicide right? the second reason was the fact everyone, and i mean everyone says "Nique!! is ****!! only a fool will refuse and offer from ****!!" and, i who actually cares about what other people think of me (to think i should have outgrown it already) do not want to be labelled as a fool; foolishly just accept the offer and pray that i (despite everything) have made the right choice.

the best thing about this job is the exposure (oh lord, i sound like a finance person already) to the actual workings of the business, which is fantastic. everything else about the job is exactly what i want to do. and the F part is not difficult. its not rocket science. i can do the bloody thing.

but, oh i hate it.

guess the hunt isnt over yet.

6 comments:

Zaitul said...

haiyaaa...very funny la this entry...hehe
nique, even if u did decline THE offer, im definitely sure none of us (read: the darques) would label you as a fool.we would support ur decision..

give an N...give an I...give a Q...give a U ...give and E...
what do u gettttttttttt...
NIQUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(sambil wat split on the ground...and pegang pom pom...peerrgghhh)

niQue_naQ said...

hahaha u funnyyy woman! poyo la hang nie tapi best gak ade my own cheerleader nie muahahaha

i know you guys (read : the darques) would not laa hehe kite kan sehati sejiwa (^_^)

eh bengs, u forgot *sambil wat split on the ground (wearing a short red cheerleading outfit)..and pegang pom pom*

he he he he

Yap! It's 3088.. said...

Nik!

That S company I heard you're working with is a good company. Even if you hate it, i am sure you can ask for a lateral transfer. There are always different opportunities there.

Your experience reminded me of my previous stint with TW, I was in the Strategy and Finance dept with no bloody clue with what was happening with all the number crunching I was doing for them until two months into the job.

Projecting figures 15 to 25 years down the road is not something I am used to doing. I always think coming up with figures which I have no knowledge of and trying to convince the regulators to believe them is the same as lying. We call it assumptions.

I don't like to lie and that's the bottom line.;)

niQue_naQ said...

hi alden! thanks for the advice :)

15 to 25 years huh? thats even more challenging, guess im lucky its just 3 years in the future but what's with the volatile crude market, even 6 months ahead is too long!

i agree with you that it is a good company and i have taken the next step of talking to my HR on the possibility of transfering to another division after one year, but until then, i have to suffer for the next 11 odd months (like u said) crunching and churning out numbers i would have to plucked out of thin air huhu..

but then again, maybe after a few months, i would start to like it and for all u know, its meant to be hehehe :p positive thinking!

hope to see you in CNY, we've missed you (^_^)

No Angel said...

I think I'll like your job.. ada opening lagi ker?..hehehe

niQue_naQ said...

babe, funny you shud ask me that, just today my boss was asking me if i have any friends looking for a career change! hehe so spooky laa

soooo, ape lagie, hantar la resume anda kepada saye yerr :p