Thursday, January 21, 2010

to say or not to say..

on my way to work today, on the radio, they were having an animated discussions on good comebacks. basically, if someone were to say something nasty or insult you, what do you say back in return? or do you just stood there, speechless in humiliation and anger, and generally let the other person get away with it?

from the many phonecalls and smses that came through, i concluded that we malaysian's are generally not the kind to confront the other person, especially if its insults of body weight, looks or the way you drive, who you date etc. if its about work and being proffesional, yes we would say our piece, otherwise we meekly take in the insult and walk away.

why? are our self confident that low or we really cant think of anything to say when it comes to defend ourselves? in my part for example, when that colleague made that nasty comment about being free vs not married (see post below), i was literaly speechless, my mind went blank and i really couldnt think of anything to say!

so today, as i ate lunch at my desk (yes2 sadly i am that busy - else an excuse to surf a little bit hehehe), i googled some good comebacks on the net, and here are some interesting ones;

I don't know what your problem is, but I'll bet it's hard to pronounce.

How about never? Is never good for you? - im gonna use this one on an annoying person i know hahaha

I see you've set aside this special time to humiliate yourself in public - classic!

I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter.

It sounds like English, but I can't understand a word you're saying.


I can see your point, but I still think you're full of it.


I like you. You remind me of when I was young and stupid. - THIS is what i shud have said to that nasty woman!

You are validating my inherent mistrust of strangers.

I have plenty of talent and vision. I just don't give a damn.

I'm already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth.

I will always cherish the initial misconceptions I had about you.

Thank you. We're all refreshed and challenged by your unique point of view. - kalau dalam meeting we say this okey tak? hehehehe

I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant.


It's a thankless job, but I've got a lot of Karma to burn off.

Do I look like a people person?

You! Off my planet!

Well, your day is a total waste of makeup.

I'm trying to imagine you with a personality.

Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

If I throw a stick, will you leave?

so there you go, try using it the next time someone thought they can mess with you! :p

5 comments:

afizly said...

camaner nk ckp heh..

cam nie..kalo kawen tapi berlagak cam tak kawen.. yg tu aper cer plak??

Jumper said...

I guess we've been brought up to be polite and respectful that confronting others has not been the skill built in our behaviour. While working abroad, I have tried to un-learn the values and re-learn to confront when necessary. It's easier said than done. It takes a lot of practice and self-awareness. But I also learn that we're not able to control what people say about / to us; but we can control what we hear and how we deal with it to preserve our peace of mind.
Have a nice day, niQue....

niQue_naQ said...

honey; comebacks yang i dun think i wud ever have d courage to say face to face hehehehe :p

jumper; precisely, our own society and upbringing are the main reasons here :) was reading an article about the word and action "amuk" which is apparently unique to the "malays" - wonder if it has any correlation with the fact we like to suppress and keep our anger inside, then one day it bursts....food for thought :p thanks for the comment!

olyn said...

im definitely d type who'd jus stand there and go; jus plain speechless of how some people could be so heartless and wishing he or she would be hit by a truck later... :p

niQue_naQ said...

olyn; leaving it to karma eh? it cud work tapi lambat la hehehehe