Friday, May 23, 2008

R.E.S.P.E.C.T

i dont like cats.

and the reason i dont like them is because im scared of them.

i know its weird and freaky and whatever, but i have been scared of them since i was young, there were probably some incident of some sort that leads to this fear, but i cant remember a time when i am not scared of them.

over the years i have learned to control my fear. i no longer jumped a mile away when i see a cat and i no longer refused to be anywhere within 20 metres radius of the mere hint of the feline existence nearby, i no longer screamed like a crazy person or squeal like a monkey when the stray animal brushes against my leg in while enjoying my maggie goreng in mamak stalls and i have learned to accept invitations to peoples houses despite knowing that their house will be filled with cats, as i refused to let them cats restricted me from having a social life. i have learned to accept there are certain places in kl where there are stray cats roaming around and my next door neighbour who breeds them like she wants to create an army of cats. im okay with that now, and i have learned to accept them.

what i dont accept is people who refuses to believe, acknowledge or respect my fear. they just simply refuse to understand and believe that i can be afraid of something supposedly to be cute and cuddly and comel and huggable. but what they dont get is that they are as cute and cuddly and comel and huggable to me as a snake or a spider or an alligator.

and so i meet cat lovers who wished to be the one to 'change me', and they keep thrusting their pride and joy, usually in the latest designer neck bracelet (ok, i dont know what they call that thing they wear around the neck) to my face and expect me to drool, simper and hug their cats and estactically announce to be reformed, and even worse, when this doesnt work, they would surprise me, when i am siting quietly at the sofa, they drop the cat on my lap, causing me to jump and my heart beating so fast i could hardly breathe and i would get so scared that i feel like crying and they? they just laugh away shaking their heads and happily scooped up their cats and tsk tsk-ed at poor nique who is by now ghost pale and shaking like a leaf, so close to tears and almost having a heart attack.


why the need to be so cruel? why are cat lovers so cruel to human beings? why cant u just respect me the way i respect you and your cats? im not evil like a cat haters, i dont hate cats, i just cannot be near them, but i dont kick them, or throw water at them use the broom and hit them with it or run them over and i even occasionally feed my neighbor's cats whenever she was not around. how would you feel if you come over to my house filled with snake cos i simply love them and would drop one anaconda on your lap and just laugh when you jumped screaming and crying because of your fear?

im sorry to say this, but the cat lovers i have met are cruel to human beings like me. laugh or deny all you want but this is my experience. im not saying all cat lovers are like that. i said the ones i have met. read my sentence properly before jumping and be defensive, yes i know you are all about to do that.

dont try to 'change' me, just respect me. that's all i ask.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

dear, i can understand why people dont understand your fear, it is highly unusual but people are afraid of many things that is unexplainable.. i have a friend who is afraid of doorknobs..i cant imagine what she goes through in her life where every where you go, there will be a door knob staring you in the face!

but fret not, i applaud you for managing to control your fear and the fact that at least you are not cruel to them.

as to your friends, just explain to them properly, i am sure they will understand, otherwise they wouldnt be your friends in the first place.

rgds,

vie

niQue_naQ said...

hi vie, thanks very much for the comment :) really appreciate it!

send my hello to your friend, it must be tiring to be afraid all the time as doorknobs are everywhere!

pugly said...

Heh. They have a name for this condition: Ailurophobia. So don't worry, your fear is real :-)

As for me, I love cats. Can't get enough of 'em :-)

niQue_naQ said...

hi pugly, thanks for gracing my blog with your comment (^_^)

its good that they have a name for it, see people, its a real medical condition!! :p